Home > Students > Getting Ready to Travel > Academic Credit

Academic Credit

Cooperating Institutions

  1. Local High School: High-school credit is granted at the discretion of the individual school according to the local policy on out-of-school study. Contact the appropriate administrator.

  2. Undergraduate or Graduate Credit: California State University, Sacramento (CSUS). Earn one credit per week of travel (up to four units of post-baccalaureate and up to six units of undergraduate credit). For adults and high-school students in their junior year of study or above. $250 per credit unit (subject to change). Applicants are required to pre-plan their program of study and submit a written proposal for approval approximately six weeks prior to departure.

    Contact: Jessika Morrison
    CSUS College of Continuing Education
    Attn: Travel Study
    3000 State University Drive
    Sacramento, CA 95819
    Tel: (916) 278-5878
    Fax: (916) 278-3685
    Email: jessika.morrison@csus.edu
    Web: http://www.cce.csus.edu/independent-travel-study

  3. Other institutions by individual arrangement

Credit Procedures

Different institutions have slightly varying procedures, but almost all require these two steps:

  1. Prepare a Study Proposal: Before you leave, listing the topics to be explored on the trip and the learning activities planned.

  2. Write up a Project Report: Upon your return, to include observations, reflections, and cultural comparisons. Often this report consists of an Academic Log kept during the trip, with conclusions written after your return.

Stay Connected on the Road (the Cheap & Easy Way)

Keeping in touch

Earn $$ for Your Trip by Entering the Scholarship Contest

Earn money